>Windshields are often cracked or chipped by stones and other solid debris that seem to come from nowhere. One minute you’re driving smoothly along the road and suddenly, WHAM! A stone cracks your windshield. You don’t have any clue how it happened or how it got there. But as soon as the initial shock dies down, you’re left with a chip or a crack on your once perfectly clear and smooth windshield. Now, you ask yourself, "What am I going do with this damaged windshield? Am I going to get it repaired or am I gonna have to replace it?"
Windshield Repair or Windshield Replacement?
Compared to windshield replacement, windshield repair in most cases can be cheaper. . Repairing a small crack or chip usually costs around $50 and takes roughly 30mins. On the other hand, when you choose to replace your windshield, it could take 45minutes to 1hour in most cases. The good news about replacing your damaged windshield is that you will be repairing the structural integrity of your car.
The general rules states that if the damaged windshield area can be covered by a quarter it can be repaired. However, there are other things to consider in choosing windshield repair over replacement. To know when to repair and when to replace your windshield, take a look at these guidelines:
- If the crack is less than 6 inches (15.24cm) and it’s not on the windshield area directly in front of the driver, it is possible that it can be repaired.
- Replace your windshield if:
- The diameter of the bullseye or halfmoon crack exceeds 1 inch
- The damaged area is interferes with the driver’s vision
- If the blow to the windshield caused 3 or more long cracks
- Chemically-caused damage
- Major Edge cracks
- Windshield damage is caused by stress
- The crack or chip extends through the layers of the laminated glass
- The inside layer of the glass is cracked
- The chips or cracks are old
Chips and cracks on your windshield may seem small and insignificant. But the longer you wait to get them fixed, the more damage they may cause. They do not only interfere with your vision, but they also affect your safety and weaken the structure of your vehicle. That’s why it is very important that we keep your vehicle’s windshield free of any chips, cracks, or dings. If your windshield becomes damaged, please be sure to see your auto glass specialist at a location near you as soon as possible.